Well, here are two other items we could write to Goodlatte and voice our concern:
#1 Obama’s Modern Military
The United States military has one purpose — to defend our country by defeating our enemies. Unfortunately, the Obama Administration sees the military as a vast playground for radical social experimentation.
When it’s not busy accommodating the demands of transgendered soldiers or purging Christians from its ranks, it is pushing the Pentagon to toe the line on the president’s environmental agenda.
Here’s the latest: According to the Washington Times, “The Pentagon [Translated: Obama’s appointees] is ordering the top brass to incorporate climate change into virtually everything they do, from testing weapons to training troops to war planning to joint exercises with allies.”
Are you kidding me?
North Korea is putting satellites into space. Iran is testing new missiles. China is creating chokepoints in the Pacific. Russia is resurgent, moving into the Middle East and challenging NATO. ISIS is still in Iraq, Syria and expanding its influence throughout North Africa.
But Obama wants our soldiers to be weathermen instead of warriors.
#2 Obama’s Budget: Blueprint For Bankruptcy
President Obama submitted his final budget to Congress today. Speaking to reporters at the White House, Obama declared, “The budget that we are releasing today reflects my priorities.” That’s certainly a true statement.
It is a jaw-dropping $4.1 trillion manifesto of higher taxes, more spending and bigger government. It is a blueprint for national bankruptcy. Just consider this analysis from the Associated Press:
“Obama’s budget would increase taxes by $2.6 trillion over the coming decade, nearly double the $1.4 trillion in new taxes Obama sought and failed to achieve in last year’s budget. . . Even with the increased taxes, Obama’s budget projects sharply higher deficits in coming years, totaling $9.8 trillion over the next decade.”
Wow! Another $10 trillion in debt? That’s an additional $1 trillion a year that we do not have!
Not surprisingly, congressional Republicans are declaring the president’s budget “Dead On Arrival.” Speaker Paul Ryan blasted the Obama’s fiscal irresponsibility, saying, “This isn’t even a budget so much as it is a progressive manual for growing the federal government at the expense of hardworking Americans.”
Federalism with Christians 4 Freedom Tuesday @ Liberty University
Dear LTP Patriots,
Something you may be interested in will take place this coming Tuesday evening at Liberty University. The on campus group, Christians 4 Freedom, will have a very special speaker everyone should know about. Nick will tell you below.
In His Service, Renée DeShane
Lynchburg Tea Party Members,
My name is Nick Hamilton, and I am the president of Christians 4 Freedom at Liberty University. I attended a Tea Party meeting a few months ago and really enjoyed it! It is hard to get to the meetings between events here at school, and being out of town.
I wanted to send you an email about an event this coming Tuesday that your members might be interested in. On February, 2nd at 7:00pm, we will be hosting the Madison Coalition here on campus in the Jerry Falwell Library. Roman Buhler will be our main speaker who is driving down from DC. Mr. Buhler attended Harvard, and Stanford. He has made it his mission to fight for the rights of individual states, and limit the power of the federal government.
I believe that our country is on the brink of no return. As a country we must go back and understand the principles that started our great nation, and the founding documents that have carried us this far. Our millennials believe that the Bill of Rights is outdated, and no longer important to the continued success of our great nation. We must change that in order for future generations to live free. Your support will greatly affect the impact we have here on campus. Students at LU are leaders for faith and freedom!
I hope to see you, and many of your members there! Thank you so much for playing an active role in making sure our country returns to the great principles we were founded on.
Location and time for Tuesdays event:
Jerry Falwell Library (Terrace Conference room)
Attendees can park in the Book Store parking lot, and walk directly towards the vine center. Before passing the Vines center, you need to take a right and walk between the fence and building. This will take you directly to the Library. Construction has taken over the campus.
The event will start at 7:00pm and is on February 2nd 2016.
Anyone is welcome to call me with any questions! 704-918-7329
VA-ALERT: The reciprocity deal between
McAuliffe and Republicans
Here is the latest update on the conceal carry with other states.
Don’t forget our local LTP Meeting this Thursday evening at the Lynchburg Library at 7PM.
Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 9:56 PM
BREAKING NEWS: *** February 1 cutoff date for dropping recognition of 25 states has been extended to March 1 ***
As you’ve undoubtedly heard from the media, there is a package deal in the works between Governor McAuliffe and the Republicans in the General Assembly dealing with 1) concealed handgun permit (CHP) reciprocity, 2) voluntary background checks at gunshows, and 3) those subject to a permanent domestic violence protection order.
To many CHP holders, CHP reciprocity is a HUGE deal, especially if they travel out-of-state regularly and want to be able to carry discretely. For example, there is no solution to carrying in South Carolina if we don’t have an agreement between our two states.
There is a lot of misinformation from the media and elsewhere and a lot of people are coming to the wrong conclusions about what the deal does and doesn’t do. Rumors are flying that gun owners only get back the reciprocity that was taken away by Herring and the State Police – that is FALSE. We have gained important ground!
THE DEAL IS STILL IN THE WORKS. Things could still go south as the key bills that make up the deal work their way through the legislature and onto the Governor’s desk. SO, FOR NOW, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE THIS WILL BECOME LAW, BUT A REASONABLY GOOD CHANCE IT WILL. If it fails, we may not be able to fix the reciprocity situation for another two-long-years.
VCDL has been privy to the deal for several days, as was a national group. VCDL monitored progress of this potentially groundbreaking advancement of our liberty from its genesis, and provided counsel and discussion points during its evolution.
The final product was given the nod by VCDL, however we will be watching like a hawk for any changes that negatively affect gun owners.
IMPORTANT DETAILS ON THE “DEAL”
There are three components that make up the deal, each component represented by matching bills in the House and in the Senate.
#1 – Reciprocity details – gun owners gain ground!
* Virginia will honor the carry permits from ALL states! This is considerably better than current law and something VCDL has been trying to get for at least seven years now.
* Because Virginia will honor all other states, Virginia CHPs will be recognized by all the states we have lost AND we will gain some new states: New Hampshire, Georgia, and Colorado!
* The State Police and the Attorney General will have NO say in the new law. If another state requires a formal agreement to honor Virginia CHPs, the new law requires the Attorney General to enter into any such agreement. If he fails to do this, item #3, below, does not go into effect.
* One other change on the reciprocity law: If your Virginia CHP is revoked for cause, you won’t be able to carry on a non-resident permit from another state. Not a deal breaker.
NOTE: Just because we are honoring all other states, doesn’t mean we can carry in all those states. Someone from New York will be able to carry here, but we won’t be able to carry in New York unless New York is willing to enter into a reciprocal agreement with Virginia, for example.
As more and more states start honoring out-of-state permits, the prospects of our permit being honored by even more states down the road is bright!
#2 – Voluntary gun show background checks
* Background checks for a private sale are COMPLETELY voluntary.
* The State Police shall be at every gun show in Virginia, by law. (Some gun owners were thinking this was some kind of a trick – that if the State Police don’t show up, the gun show would be cancelled. This should put that worry to rest.)
* The gun show promoter shall notify the State Police of the location and times of the gun show at least 30 days in advance, shall provide a free location for the police to set up, and shall have signs letting attendees know of the voluntary background checks at the State Police booth. (I checked with one of Virginia’s largest gun show promoters on this to see if any of it was objectionable and was told, “no.”)
* The State Police may charge a reasonable fee. (If they charge more than you want to pay, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)
* NO information on the make, model, or serial number of the gun being sold will be provided to the State Police – i.e. no federal Form 4473! The purchaser will have to fill out the Virginia form, which asks a few questions and has the buyer’s name, address, and signature. (If you don’t want to fill out that form, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)
* There is a carrot: if a background check is run, the seller receives some special legal protections that are currently not available for private sales. If a background check is not run, you don’t have any more or any less legal protections than under current law.
Yes, down the road inevitably there will be some bills introduced that attempt to make the background check mandatory. We get bills on mandatory background checks for private sales every year. We will have to fight and defeat those bills in the future, just as we fight and defeat similar bills today.
For those gun owners who would feel safer selling a gun to someone who has had a background check, this provides a new option in addition to the current option of either asking if the person has a CHP or going through the more laborious and expensive route of letting an FFL do the transfer. It also has no effect on private sales conducted anywhere outside of gun shows, where this voluntary option is not provided.
#3 – Persons subject to a PERMANENT domestic violence protection order cannot possess firearms until the order expires
* The ONLY permanent protection order this restriction applies to is one for domestic violence and NOTHING else.
* The subject of the protection order must have had his day in court along with any legal counsel. Temporary protection orders do NOT affect possession of firearms.
* If the judge, after hearing the defense, decides to issue a permanent protection order anyhow, the subject of the protection order will lose his gun rights for the duration of the order (MAXIMUM of two years), and automatically get those gun rights back when the permanent protection order expires. Note: a new permanent protection order could potentially be issued when the perament protection order expires if the judge thinks a danger still exists.
* The subject of the permanent protection order will have 24 hours to turn his guns over to a person of his choice, as long as that person can legally possess firearms.
* The above is basically federal law already, and state law already prohibits a person with such a permanent protection order from purchasing or transporting a firearm.
* VCDL will be monitoring the deal’s progress, watching for changes that negatively affect gun owners.
* If a negative issue arises and is not fixed quickly, I will advise all of you immediately via an Urgent Legislative Action Alert.
* I will also be providing links to the three bills described above as soon as the final language is available online. That way you can read them for yourself.
* For now just standby on this, as I keep you advised of the progress of the deal.
* If you don’t have any absolutely urgent questions, please hold on to them for now as it would be easy to overwhelm me with emails (I’m already getting over 200 a day as is).
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.